Livestock

• Posted by The Bamboo Man on April 12, 2024 at 4:12 pm

Where are my livestock people at? Anyone have any fancy breeds of anything?

I have two nigerian dwarf goats that I’m looking to breed this fall. Also have some red sexlink and gold lace wyandotte chickens.

Curly_Knox replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Curly_Knox

April 12, 2024 at 10:22 pm

We used to try keeping all sorts of heritage livestock, couldn’t find any that did as well as modern breeds (especially the chickens meat and eggs). Except pigs, running saddlebacks.

• The Bamboo Man

Organizer
    April 13, 2024 at 1:28 am

Ya I’ve heard that some purebred animals can have more problems. I’ve never actually bought any animals with papers. The sex links are the best laying hens I’ve ever owned, with consistent large brown eggs, but I found then from a farmer on craigslist.

I’ve thought about doing some pigs but my wife is scared of them lol Do the saddlebacks gain weight faster than others or is there a flavor difference in the meat? Do you have any fruit trees for the pigs to clear up dropped fruit?

• Curly_Knox

April 13, 2024 at 11:34 am

Pigs are the friendliest animals and good at cleaning up your scraps. They do really well on swill, we rinse the dishes first in a tub before going in the washer, that with scraps makes a good swill. Saves heaps on feed. We keep saddlebacks because they grow slow, but taste great.

• The Bamboo Man

Organizer
        April 13, 2024 at 11:47 am

That sounds like a great way to save on feed! I save all my kitchen scraps for my chickens. I think my wife just heard too many stories about pigs eating dead bodies lol